Sunday 1 June 2008

The Crafters' Way 51 - Sewing Blogs

I write a weekly Craft Column for a local paper. I share it here with bloggers.



When I moved all of my dyeing and craft supplies from home and into the workspace behind the shop I rediscovered my sewing machines. For the last couple of years they have been somewhat ignored. The overlocker got the occasional airing; I used it to neaten the edges of fabric before stitching. That was the plan at the start of the year. I haven’t got very far. I’ve done lots of planning but not much sewing. I have however found lots of really inspiring sewing blogs.


loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com - the author of this site makes her own clothes. Site has lots of tips. The author has photos of her wearing the garments. Check out her shoes they all match the outfit perfectly.


retrograce.blogspot.com – the author has just added twins to her family AND she still has time to sew and blog. Vintage sewing, children’s clothes, smocking and quilting are just a few of her sewing interests.


clothespeg.blogspot.com – the author has taken a pledge not to buy any new clothes for 6 months. Follow her progress while she refashions thrift shop finds.


sewchic.blogspot.com – this site is maintained by a mother and daughter. The site documents their sewing efforts. Be warned. It does have a bit of family catch up stuff posted.





off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com – this site has excellent tutorials. It’s not all for the girls either. This site has lots of tips for men’s fashion sewing.


textilogy.blogspot.com – don’t try and pronounce it. This is an Australian site, the author is based in Melbourne. While not big on sewing tips she does post about textile exhibitions that she has visited. That alone is worth a look.


I saved this to last. Burda has a site with FREE patterns. Gotta love that. http://www.burdastyle.com/ It also allows sewers to add their own pattern variations for all to see.


I’m off to my sewing room.

No comments: