Saturday 16 February 2008

Hand Dyed Bookmarks

I recently saw these great paper bookmarks on Faerydi
Dianne had painted some paper towel, then stitched it before adding some mixed yarn tassels.

I use paper towel to mop up drips of dye. I'm such a messer that I have lots of dyed paper towel. I've recently been using it in collage etc but I though this was another great idea.


The paper towel is usually all scrunched up so I started by giving it a press with the iron. I then got out the paintsticks and scribbled over the sheets. Just enough to give it a little zing. I cut them into strips and sewed the edges with a straight stitch on my machine.


I then gave them a light coat with gel medium. I only did one side and wasn't too fanatical about missing bits. I really wanted to strenghten where I was going to punch the hole. I added eyelets and then some hand dyed yarn.


I'm really happy with them. And of course I've now got hundreds of them.

No comments: