Sunday 14 November 2010

Lessons I’ve Learnt 3 – My Way or the Highway?

For a long time now I have avoided these sorts of posts. There are an awful lot of people offering advice on how to start and run a craft business. Many are people with limited experience, either measured in time or varied business models. Does this mean they don’t have anything worthwhile to offer? Not at all.

 

I’m not comfortable with the term expert. Maybe my Dad’s definition, ‘a drip out of control' has had an effect. Or just maybe it is because I really wouldn’t want somebody to blindly follow my advice/comments just because it came from an ‘expert’.

 

Over the last couple of years I have been approached by many new and experienced crafters who want to know how to do this? Should they do that? Initially people wanted me to tell them how to do it, now they are happy being guided, challenged and supported. They appreciate that my insights come from a over 25 years working in different business models and  now run a craft business that is our sole source of income.

 

I’ve decided to post the ‘Lessons I’ve Learnt’ regularly. I don’t have all the answers, sometimes I don’t even know the questions. Some will go against the grain of what others say and advise. My purpose is to start a conversation, give you pause to consider another approach, or define what is truly right for you.

I encourage you to add your comments, agree/disagree, or suggestions. Together we can keep learning.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm looking forward to this Trish. I'm seriously thinking of going back to my previous trading name (and Etsy name) and I'm thinking "Just how hard will Trish spank me if I keep chopping and changing like this?" I'm sure you will cover this sort of thing in your posts! :)

Trish Goodfield said...

Oh Eliza I promise to be gentle. And I probably will cover it in the next couple of weeks.

Aimee Jeffries said...

I look forward to reading them :) I love your "Here is what I've learned" approach (as apposed to others saying this is THE way to do everything and if you do it different you might at well not bother approach). I also love that it is good information and can be applied to all crafters and business minded people (instead of just your "circle" or specific craft). I had no idea what kumi was after seeing a few of your FB posts I thought it was another language, I finally looked it up lol...very pretty!

Marigold Jam said...

Sounds good to me - and I am sure we will all learn from your experience.

Jane