Sunday 23 May 2010

The Crafter's Way 136 - Book Review

 Here is this week's Messenger column - Try Something New

The Moreton Bay Regional Council Libraries have a wonderful variety of craft books to borrow. Many of these books are recent releases. These books all came from the Pathways Library. Check with your local library for their opening hours.



Making Teddy Bears by Paige Gilchrist (745.59243 GIL)
I used to think that you were either into teddy bears or not. This book reminded me that while we may not be inspired to make our own teddies we all love to look at them. This book has an easy to read history section. In this section was picture of a teddy bear popular in the late 50’s & early 60’s, The Wendy Boston Bear. My older sister had a much loved one which we all shared. When her daughter was born I hunted everywhere for one only to be met with blank stares. When my niece was two I finally spied one in a large department store. The staff must have thought I had gone stark raving mad with excitement. My sister’s is called Wendy Woo and my niece’s is Wendy Two. For this memory alone I loved this book. It has some great patterns as well.


101 Bears to Make by Nancy Tillberg (745.59243 TIL)
If the first book inspired you to have a go at making your own bear then this book will take you to the next level. Part One covers “Making a Teddy Bear”, it covers all the basic skills and equipment you need. Part Two explores the “Creative Touches” to personalize your bear. Finally Part Three outline hints and tips for selling your bears. Beautiful photos accompany clearly written instructions.


How to Organize Your Scrapbook Workspace by Memory Makers (745.593 HOW)
This book is full of affordable and simple storage solutions not only for scrapbooking but for any creative pursuit. The book steps you through an initial assessment of your needs before offering suggestions for organizing your space. If you have found yourself overwhelmed by clutter borrow this book before embarking on your next project.

Since I wrote this for publication the urge to make teddy bears has visited me. See my etsy store.

No comments: