Tuesday 10 November 2009

Kumihimo Prep

My takadai lives near the back door. As I walk in and out everyday I see it and it reminds me to braid. That's the theory anyway. A couple of months ago I dragged out a packet that I had brought back from Japan. It was the result of the bobbin switching class I had taken. The packet sat unopened on the takadai until this morning.












I've started to unravel the silk ropes. This isn't as hard as it sounds. Tha Japanese have a method of wrapping the silk so that you can take it on and off the takadai. It isn't a method I perfected however I was able to unravel without too much stress.








Like most of us I don't have huge blocks of time to spend braiding. I'm just going to plod along doing a little everyday. Hopefully I will get back into the swing of Takadai Braiding.

2 comments:

大魔王 said...

Well done Trish!

I haven't had the time to even get close to any dai in the last year. I will try to braid a bit this winter.

Hot Fudge said...

Thank you Trish for improving my vocabulary. I had never heard of a takadai, but I love the look of it and what it can produce. What are you going to do with that gorgeous braid once it's completed?