I had already prepared a heap of ties. I heated up the iron and started cutting out. The first one I tried was too thick. The article says 4 - 5 underlayers before placing the top layer on. I ended up using only 2 layers for the brown buttons. It was a very thick tie.
I gently ran around the edge with the iron to smooth the edges.
I eyeballed the placement of the button holes.
I tried a number of different polyester ties and decided that not all polyester is created equal. Some just would not burn easily.
With these I deliberately placed the template over creases. I want to see if they will press out or if I have to do this first.
I've burned the hole toward the top of the shape. I'm going to see how the sit as earrings. The brown Button will be listed on Etsy tomorrow.