Tuesday 9 October 2007

Waste Not Want Not

I recently did 3 days of classes with Children who were staying at the YMCA camp. Lots of work, very tiring but always lots of fun.

These threads are some of the threads we dyed. These colours have been created from the 3 primaries. The threads are a little messy. I'll probably braid with this lot.



I usually leave the left over dye in the pots for next time however this time I decided that it was time to give the pots a good wash out.I had no more than 1 cm left over in each. I added a couple of threads and left it to soak for a few minutes before adding the soda ash. I then left it soak for a further hour.


When the hour had passed I removed the threads from the container. I then added more threads and left that soak for a further hour. I continued this until the colour was very pale.




I created all these colours from the 5 left over dye pots. I ended up with almost 6o skeins of thread.
Don't forget that if you leave a comment during October you go in the draw for 2 x 3 pk of Hand dyed fabric. Click here to see the colours.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific colours that you got from the left overs. I also love the fabric colours. Put me in the draw. If I don't win I will buy some anyway.

Cherold said...

Love your colors! What kind of thread do you use? I mean, do you buy it loose? Again, your colors are awesome.

CheriS

Trish Goodfield said...

Hi Cheri

The thread is a a very fine mercerised cotton. Its equal to 1 strand of Stranded Cotton. I buy it in these huge hanks then wind it into 16 m skeins before dyeing. Its an extremely popular thread.I sell a lot to people who hand wind it onto their bobbins for machine embroidery, especially the variegated ones.

Trish

Debbi Baker said...

These threads are beautiful - Love the way you used the left overs!