Friday 3 August 2007

Hallelujah!

I can see the light! Or my accurately the light allows me to see.

There has been a big push lately in the media etc to change from the standard light bulbs to the energy saving ones. Alan & I decided to do the right thing by the environment and the electricity bill and changed our bulbs over.

Let me tell you, I was not a happy camper. I'm all for mood lighting but this was a bit ridiculous. I do a lot of my dyeing in our laundry and granted it does have extremely high ceilings but once the energy saving bulb went in I couldn't see. I started using an additional light so that I could see what I was doing.

This was the same in the design studio and it has normal height ceilings. I wasn't the only person complaining about this. I spoke to lots of my customers who stitch, read etc and they were having the same difficulties.

I perservered, really I did. Then I decided that I couldn't see the earth going downhill if I was blind from poor lighting.

We changed the bulbs in the laundry and the design studios to good old fashioned fluros. Not only can I see again but we are actually using less power.

Now, I'm not sure if the fluros are as easy to dispose as the energy saving bulbs but I'm happy to plant a few more trees if I can save my eyesight.

No comments: