I spent a lot of time choosing colours( NOT!). I really didn't leave myself a lot of planning time for this. I grabbed the first colours that didn't scream at each other.
This is the starting postion for the 20 strand Flat Braid. I started with 4m of wool on each.
From Left to Right: Colour 1, Colour 1, Colour 2, Colour 2, Colour 3, Colour 4, Colour 5, Colour 1
Repeated on the bottom line.

This is how the braid looked. It was a little over 3 metres long. Of course I wasn't happy to leave it here. As I was experimenting I decided to see what would happen to the braid if I felted it. This is where it starts to get ugly.

The braid would not felt, it just got fluffy in odd places. I didn't trim the left over wool before felting. It looks like dreadlocks.
Now all is not lost. I did learn that the wool braids beautifully. It should sew well together edge to edge. The felting......
Trish,
ReplyDeletethat actually doesn't look bad at all, except for the dreads.
Did you receive your takadai yet? I have been toying with the idea of braiding a wool scarf on the takadai for a few months now, I just need to source some more wool in order to try ;)
Michael