Monday 10 September 2012

Craft Shopping In The UK

With the pics from the Singapore leg of our holiday on Alan’s camera I decided to share with you my craft finds while in the UK.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My first stop was the ‘dye’ aisle. I knew this shop stocked some of the Dylon products that we can’t buy here in Australia. The Sharpies and the alcohol inks were priced too well to leave behind.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’ve used lot of different image transfer methods over the years but I have never been able to try Dylon’s product. I had to buy the large jar, in the name of research of course. Down the bottom are some slate buttons. I bought this Welsh Dragon in a little craft shop on our first day in Llandudno. Again, the silk  price was simply too good not to buy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

The long hanks are actually paper thread, they were the only colours available at the time. The hemp comes in lots of different weights and colours, I showed remarkable restraint.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

At least until I got to the rug making aisle. I’ve always wanted to have a go at rug making, not the latch hook kind but the proper type. I couldn’t decide which tool I wanted so I bought one of each.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I bought some bead formers and small shape cutters. I really don’t know if you can buy these here but after my recent revisiting of bread clay making I decided I would have a go at making some beads with it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And finally, a couple of books. The Jennie Parry book will support the classes I did with Jennie at the conference.  I have already done quite a bit of couching with my braids but the Chinese Embroidery Book takes it to a new level. “Threads That Move” is the Conference Proceedings. If I was more like Sheldon I would point out that my paper was published in here…but I’m not so I won’t, lol.

Alas, availability of luggage space limited any further shopping, but I do have the online site saved in my favourites.

No comments: