Saturday 11 June 2011

Kumihimo Kids

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve had visits from some of the kids from the Term 1 class. They had all finished their first ever braid done on the plate. I decided to get them back and show them how to make a headband.DSCF7484 This Emily, at 11 years old she is the oldest of the group. This is her braid still on the plate. We took them all off and gave them a good steaming to straighten out some of the edges.DSCF7485Here is Emily wearing her kumihimo headband.DSCF7488  I quickly managed to snap a couple of the other braids.No time for setting up the lightbox or trimming stray threads.DSCF7489 The girl who made this one used her school colours so she can wear it with her uniform. For their ages these kids did a brilliant job. Before they left I got them all to start a zigzag braid. Can’t wait to see them completed.

5 comments:

Ruthann Logsdon Zaroff said...

I love this art--I'd love to try my hand at it. Your students did a terrific job!

Jacinta said...

Clever Kids

Mitch said...

Wonderful to see children involved in creative pursuits.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful projects. Where do you get your patterns from? I am having some trouble finding patterns :(.

Trish Goodfield said...

I have a book available here
http://www.dyeingforfabricandthreads.com/books--dvds.html