Tuesday 24 May 2011

Tutorial – Market Apron

I  have planned to make myself a new Market Apron for a little while now. I had found a simple pattern here and bookmarked it. The best laid plans …. when I went to make it I couldn’t find it. So I decided that I would just have to come up with something myself.DSCF7421 I bought this Colorado skirt from an op shop for 50 cents. My sister loves their clothes so the plan was to replace the drawstring and give it to her. I had it sitting waiting for over 12 months and hadn’t done anything so I decided to turn it into the apron.DSCF7422 Starting at the hem edge I cut along the side seams. As I was making this up as I went along I left myself a little bit of wiggle room with the seam allowance. I didn’t cut through the waistband.DSCF7423 Here the back has been completely removed leaving the waistband intact. I measured up from the bottom and cut off  the excess length.DSCF7425 I wore it into the shop last Sunday to check if it was going to work. I discovered that I hadn’t cut off the ribbon that you hang the skirt from. Also the bottom edge had a tendency to flap. Both problems could be rectified eventually.DSCF7433But first some embellishing.DSCF7434   I couldn't live with plain beige but decided against dyeing it. I started adding some hand stitching.DSCF7436

It is a work in progress. The good news is that I will be able to use it as I go. I’ll post a pic when it is all done.

No comments: