Over the month of December approximately 40 Bloggers will be sharing their creative hopes and dreams for 2011. To date we have had posts from:
- Epheriell Designs
- Dannielle Cresp.com
- Mikaela Handmade
- Marked by the Muse
- Wouldn’t it be Loverly
- Maken Art
- Spokes ‘n’ Daggers
- Prim & Propah
- Anastasia Drawing and Dreaming
- Life @ Number 8
Today it is my turn. I share the spotlight with Khristian A. Howell
Like many of the Craft Artists who have gone before me on the Creative Odyssey journey 2010 has been a particularly busy year. For us here at TrishAlan Designs we have:
- attended a number of large 5 Day Craft Shows,
- facilitated countless Craft Classes,
- continued blogging,
- published a book, How to Teach Art & Craft
- Began writing a second book. No hints just yet.
- Consolidated our wholesale fabric stockists
- Conducted weekly mentoring sessions with a number of burgeoning Craft Artists
- Wrote an online course and a face to face course on How to Teach Art & Craft
- Began wholesaling a range of hand dyed threads
- Created new Eco Dyed product lines as well as new needlework designs and kumihimo supplies
- Wrote my weekly art/craft column for magazine
And the list goes on.
Lucky for me I have a lifetime passion for art, craft and the people who create. Without this passion it would be very easy to get on an endless treadmill of having to restock the shop, fill wholesale orders, pack, write, unpack, blog, plan, teach etc etc.
The passion continues. 2011 will be a year like no other for us. Moving into our third 5 year Business Plan will be exciting, busy and fruitful. Alan and I have always believed that our business goals need to reflect our lifestyle. Without this focus you risk sabotaging your efforts. It is with this in mind that I have decided my Creative Odyssey for 2011 will be to learn a language.
I never wanted to be that traveller who expected that no matter where they went in the world English would be spoken. But which language? Other than 5 years of high school German which resulted in me being able only to recite one phrase I had no real experience in which to base a decision on.
I decided that I was going to learn French. Not “French for travellers” but the French I can converse with the “real French”.Why? remember that bit about goals reflecting my lifestyle.This is the lifestyle I am planning; I want to be able to take an art class with a real French artist, rent a house in the Champagne District while living off the royalties from the book(lol), converse with French Canadians while watching Formula One in Canada. You get the picture.
I have done the research, the Beginners Class is held on a Monday morning. We are closed every Monday so I’m available. Now I just have to wait until the term begins in late January before I can start my Creative Odyssey for 2011.