Sunday 21 March 2010

The Crafter's Way 130 - Upcycle Inspiration

Here is this week's Messenger column, Upcycle Inspiration



The Moreton Bay Regional Council Libraries have a wonderful variety of craft books to borrow. Many of these books are recent releases. These books all came from the Redcliffe Library.



Lost Art of Towel Origami by Alison Jenkins (736.982JEN)

I kid you not. I found this book in the craft section of the library. I must admit I borrowed it because the concept made me laugh. I wasn’t disappointed. Even the authors in their introduction warn that a serious sense of humour is needed. Like most books on origami, the section that covers techniques is covered in detail. The designs humorous and playful, they would add the perfect finish to a wedding present of a towel set.



The Book of Ornamental Knots by John J. Hensel (746.4222 HEN)

While were are still tying ourselves in knots I thought I’d have a look at a book on ornamental knots. This book is a bit more serious. I find ornamental knots a bit challenging. After a bit???? of frustration I eventually manage to create the knot. For the first time ever I was able to follow the author’s instruction and create the knots first go. The one recommendation that I would give is to read the authors introduction to each knot thoroughly. This is where he tells you how much cord you need. A list of materials would have been helpful and easier to follow. If you haven’t tried knotting since you your scouting/girl guide days this one might just be for you.



The Button Craft Book (745.45 CUS)

Using buttons in your craft projects is all the rage again. This book isn’t just a how –to. It’s a fascinating read in its own right. Learn about the history of different types of buttons and their uses. Have a go at creating your own unique buttons to use as embellishments. The gallery photos give some wonderful ideas and also some that just shouldn’t be attempted. Note to self: never cover a car with buttons.



Smocking by Anne Andrew (746.44028)
My cousin has lent me her mother’s smocking pleater. I was very excited that is until I realized that I had no idea how to use it. It didn’t come with instructions. Off to the library I went and came home with this book. It’s quite old, which is probably why the information was so useful. Great instructions and diagrams not only for the pleater but the smocking stitches as well. Projects weren’t my cup of tea but I’m still a long way from making something. Had the information I needed.

No comments: