Monday 31 March 2008

The Crafters' Way 44 - Library Review

I write a weekly Craft Column for a local paper. Each week I share it here with bloggers.

The Moreton Bay Regional Council Library at Pathways has a wonderful variety of craft books to borrow. Many of these books are recent releases. Borrowing craft books from the Library is an inexpensive and convenient way to learn a new craft. The Pathways Library is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm. Thursday 9.00 am – 8.00pm. Saturday & Sunday 10.00 am – 3.00 pm.

When I popped into the library to borrow these books I mindlessly wandered over to craft area. I found myself staring at cooking books (ugh!). I panicked momentarily, (I’m sure it was the cooking books that did it). Where had they gone? The library had rearranged since my last visit. Funny how many books I noticed this time that I had missed on previous visits. Must go more often.

The Anchor Book of Needlecraft Technique (746.4 ANC)
This book covers only techniques; there are no projects here. It’s still worth borrowing. In fact I was very impressed. The instructions are extremely clear and the photos exceptional. This is not just a book for beginners though. The book covers advanced techniques as well. The knitting and crocheting sections were the pick of the book. They included a section for following patterns. I found it interesting that the book didn’t mention fusible appliqué methods, preferring to concentrate on needleturn appliqué. It doesn’t detract from the book’s purpose.


Simply Felt by Margaret Docherty & Jayne Emerson (746.0463 DOC)

Complete felt novices can follow the directions in this book. The first section deals with felting old woolen garments. There is a couple of quick projects. This got my attention as I have felt some old woolen jumpers and haven’t done anything with them – yet. The rest of the book covers felting from scratch. The physical, time consuming and totally addictive type of felting. The type of felting that we all covet when we see it made into scarves and garments. This book will have you making your own. It really does explain it well and there are also a couple of easy projects to get you started. At the back of the book the authors over some of useful information on preparing fleeces, dyeing your own wool and care of the finished piece.

No comments: