Friday 4 May 2007

Kumihimo Braids

I've been planning some braids to enter into some exhibitions coming up over the next couple of months. The first was a braid to be entered into the Australian Cotton Fibre Festival. Each piece had to have a minimum cotton content of 90%. My first sample had seven different Hand Dyed Cotton Threads. I have actually listed that braid in my shopping cart. Its only $10AU which is well below the cost of the threads.

I eventually entered a similar braid, same braid structure, in purples/lilacs, with 9 different Hand Dyed CottonThreads. I finished it with a Japanese Tassel with a beaded overskirt.

I'm now planning the next competition. This is actually a medieval themed art exhibition. The piece have to based on the traditional arts & crafts from the Middle Ages 600-1600AD. This one will be in Silk. I've narrowed down the colours to a couple and now need to dye them. (As I'm writing this I'm actually procastinating).

I'm going to enter into the Stitched Up Textile Exhibition held in Wangaratta each year. I'm still in the early stages of planning that one. I better get a move on as the entries close on the 21st of this month.

2 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

Trish -
Go to www.weavespindye.org and check out the Convergence tabs. I believe that one of the exhibits is about functional art. Your brainds would be an interesting addition. Small Expressions '08 would be a good fit as well.

Trish Goodfield said...

Thanks Deb

I've had a look and will certainly follow up. I've never entertained the thought of entering competitions before this year. I'm enjoying the process, feedback and the opportunity to learn from other exhibitors. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Trish